So I know I shouldn’t trash talk Publix, it’s convenient and clean and down the street but sometimes I really hate it. Like when I’m looking for something to grab for lunch, I really hate paying $8.50 for a box of rice and vegetables wrapped up in seaweed. I don’t even like wasabi!
So I avoided those plastic boxes and opted for the Nori wraps instead. I had some sushi rice at home and the bamboo mat was… somewhere. Cucumber, cream cheese, imitation crab… I was ready to go!
Here’s my steps to making great sushi:
- Cook the sushi rice according to package directions and let come to room temperature. Hot sushi is gross :/. Fold in some rice vinegar and the rice is ready to go.
- Unfold the bamboo mat on a cutting board and place a sheet of nori, shiny side up. Gently spread rice onto the bottom half of the nori.
- In the middle of the rice, horizontally place strips of cucumber, blocks of cream cheese, imitation crab, tuna, avocado or any other filling you would like!
- Fold the matt over the rice and filling and tighten halfway. Wet your finger and moisten the top quarter inch of the seaweed sheet and roll the rest of the roll.
- Using a sharp knife, slowly cut the roll into 8 even slices. Run the knife through the roll to avoid crushing the roll.
- Enjoy! Dip in soy sauce or wasabi or whatever suits your fancy 🙂